Monday 18 March 2024

To do list March 2024

 After the wiring and painting is done, and the handbrake is ready to go, there isn't a great deal left now. It's time to make a more granular to-do list;

  • Fuse box, battery and coolant bottle mounting on scuttle. This is a few brackets and a shedload of rivets, should be a couple of hours work max.
  • Fuel filler pipe and cap. I'm not sure I can do this before the body is fitted, I'm not even sure what filler pipe I need. Time to go online to figure that one out.
  • fuel pump and filter mounting on the back of the car. As with everything on the scuttle, it's a few brackets and a shedload of rivets. Or maybe rivnuts.
  • Front body cross brace cut to height and welded. This is a supporting bar that has been made to the correct curve but needs to be set to the correct height in order for the body to sit well together. As you might expect this is also another job for after the body fitted.
  • Dashboard. Yeah, that. 
  • Seat trimming. This has been on my list for ages but I can't put it off any longer. It also means that the seats can't live in the garage, once they're trimmed they're then vulnerable. Unless I wrap them with something, maybe clingfilm? I'll have a think about that.
  • Drill the wholes for seat and seatbelt fixings. The aluminium sheets quite nicely cover all the mounting holes, this will be to uncover them.
  • Pedal limit brackets for all pedals. Each pedal needs to only move a certain distance. The brake pedal has a natural limit (the brakes being 'on') and the brake switch itself stops it from coming too far out. The clutch pedal is completely free in both directions so needs the most work. The gas pedal is actually limited by the travel of the throttle cable but I might want something a bit more rigid. Otherwise I'm going to be snapping throttle cables!
  • Exhaust end trim. To be done once the body is on.
  • Boot hinges and lock. To be identified then fitted once the body is on.
  • Boot lining. Question mark on this one, it's not needed for IVA but depending on when I get my test appointment I might try and add it.
  • Drill seat belt mounts on roll bar. They're currently just marking holes, they need to be opened up to the relevant bolt size.
  • Paint roll bar. Not sure about the colour though, I'm sort of leaning towards either a green to match the body, or a matt black to match the chassis. In either case it needs to be a very high quality smooth surface, so probably roller?
  • Trim front body to the right length. Also to be done with the body on.
  • Shorten driveshaft. To be sent away after triple checking the measurements.
  • Wiring brackets/fixings. I need a few wiring fixings, mainly for the front and rear bodies. Nothing clever, most likely 3D printed.
  • Chassis number stamped in place. Oooh, that makes it a real car!!
  • Trim under rollbar. Body on task.
  • Bolt audit (I still need to do this so I can order whatever bolts I don't have.)
It looks like a longer list, but each of these is an hour tops. This is in contrast to previous to-do lists where it was a week per line!

On to next week then. I have this in mind for next weekend (if the weather allows);

  • Engine back in and chassis back on skates
  • Body in place to check aluminium panel fit (particularly where the panels tuck under the body)
  • Bond runners and aluminium in place (this could actually chew up a fair bit of time on the weekend so I need to be careful)
  • Add front and measure/mark/cut to suit. (Eeeek!!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment