Wednesday 17 April 2024

Braces and supports

 My next job isn't on the car, although it is car related. I need to create some wooden 'accessories' for the car. 

First one I've mentioned before, a short aluminium ramp to get the dollies up the garage lip. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Then the dollies themselves. I thought they'd be ok from a height point of view, and while the car looks really great and low, it's completely impractical. In fact, the sump is probably a matter of millimetres off the floor! So to at least get close to standard ride height I need to build up the dollies. It'll be a wooden frame around the edge, so the car doesn't lie directly on the dollies but is a few inches higher. I was thinking of just one frame of CLS to lift it 63mm, but to be honest I think two layers would be more realistic. Even if it means I struggle to get in and out of it!

Lastly will be some frame to hold the bodywork up. I've got a few last jobs to do underneath the body and while I don't want to remove the body completely, I do need to hold it up a few inches. It does need to be in a way that doesn't block the last of the riveting, or the rivnut fitting I need to do on the back and sides. Although thinking about it, there's not much more on the body to fit a frame! So it might need to be done in two parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment