Monday 15 April 2024

Speedo drive

 Well, this was an interesting one. I noticed where the speedo drive was when the engine was last out of the car, and reminded myself to have a look at fitting the cable. It turns out.... I can't!! There is simply no room between the drive and the body panel. 

So there's a couple of options. First is to swap the mechanical drive for the electronic version. This makes it easier at the engine end, but it also means I've got to swap the speedo for a newer version. If I swap the speedo then I'll need three other gauges for them to match. Then I'd be swapping wiring etc etc. It would not be pleasant.

The other option is to stay with the mechanical drive, but feed it into the drivers side footwell. If I cut a hole in the footwell, I can feed the cable along the inside and it won't be in the way. Considering the cable has to come into the car at some point, it would just be coming in a bit earlier. It's black on black so wouldn't be too noticeable, I'd just have to make sure it was well secured. 

Not tonight though, I'll see what other options there might be first. 

(Update 17/4). Well, it looks like I'll be bringing it into the car then. The option for electronic drive just got far too complex. There was an option to go for a different electronic speedo with something like magnets on the driveshaft or diff, but again it needs replacement gauges. 

So I'll cut a hole in the side, and bring it up tucked tight against the drivers footwell side. There is no diagonal brace to get in the way, so it can come all the way up the inside. It's going to be fiddly to fix in place but it does solve the other issue I had with getting to the speedo. So that's a job for the weekend, or at least 'a' weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment