One thing that has bugged me about this car is the indicators not cancelling. I had put a set of markers on the steering column so I could see when the indicators were on or off, but that wasn't overly effective.
So I opened up the steering to see what was going on;
This is the self cancelling feature, a white collar that turns with the steering wheel and operates the indicator lever;
But you can see in the top picture the nubs that engage with the steering hub are broken, so nothing is happening. 3D printing to the rescue!!
I was going to 3D print an entire new collar but there's not much room and I felt a 3D printed version would be unnecessarily weak. Where the nubs go there's a fair bit of clearance so I was able to print an oversized version of the same. A bit of glue to attach it to the original and it all works fine. Of course, I needed to make sure the steering wheel was in the right position when it all went back together, and I think it cancels a left indicator slightly earlier than it does on the right, but at least I'm not an old fart driving with permanent indicators on!
No comments:
Post a Comment