Wednesday 26 June 2024

Arch design

 Another job, making the arches. They need to cover the wheel width between two angles. So I made a wooden template;


This didn't quite line up as it was higher than the wheel, the arch wouldn't have done the job. So I trimmed the arch and split the template so it's lower on the edge but higher in the centre;




With tape to get the overall shape, and two more pieces to denote the arch ends, I can visualize the shape of the arch.

Problem with this is that the tape wasn't strong enough to keep still, it peeled off just under it's own weight. By the time I'd fully taped the shape and tried fibreglass it would have just collapsed.

So what I've done is cut slots at every ten degree position, the plan is to slot wood slats instead of tape. I was going to use 3D printed slats but that was just too much hard work.

However making this buck means that it's reversible, I can just undo the slats and put them back in 'backwards'. So that takes care of the front on the left and right. I will also do the same process on the rear, but starting a little higher as the arch is higher. 

So the plan is in place, I just need to do the work. But first I'm going to wait for the temperature to drop a little bit, trying to do woodwork in a furnace is just not pleasant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment