Sunday 9 June 2024

Suspension progress

 This weekend has been productive but without actually producing anything. I had two jobs, the first was the toe out fix. The M14 die arrived on Friday, I tried it on Saturday and within ten minutes I realised I needed a die wrench. I wasn't going to do it with a pair of adjustable pliers! 

The wrench arrived today, and it worked quite well. I managed to get enough thread cut to bottom out the extenders. That 'should' turn the toe out into neutral toe or maybe some toe in. If not, I can cut off the end of the steering rack, that'll get me further adjustment. Cutting an M14 thread is extremely tough though, so fingers crossed I only need to do it once!

The other job was the front suspension. After cutting the plates;



I started tacking them together. I also got the lower wishbones off and the bracket removed;




It was really hard going though, so along with the steering rack fix I just ran out of time/ability. Not much to finish it off though, once it's back together I can get the rear suspension built up. Hopefully I can wrap it up one evening.

Temporarily putting the dampers in place with the new brackets did look good though;



Definitely on the right track. I am hoping that I'm not increasing the load though, or more specifically increasing the load closer to the middle of the wishbone. There's already a stress riser at the end of the plate, if the force applied by the shock absorber ends up closer to the centre of the wishbone then it could be an issue. I don't think it will, if anything it will spread the same load across the same wishbone plate and end up with the same potential issues. 


No comments:

Post a Comment