Sunday 5 May 2024

Gap fill finished and wiring fixings done

 First job for today was left over from yesterday. I did run out of Tigerseal, and that led me to a fairly normal horrible experience with Euro Car Parts. First shop doesn't do counter service on weekends, but you only find out because of the paper sign on the door! The next nearest shop obviously got their foot traffic because the queue was out the door. And as for the state of their sales equipment, you have to laugh because no other company could stay in business with that sort of comical display!

Anyhow, now I had Tigerseal I was able to fix the wiring bases. The regs say 300mm gap so I spaced them at 250mm;







For the most part I positioned them as high as possible, particularly round the wheel arches. But along the side of the car I simply couldn't reach high enough, so the last photo shows where the clips are. That position from the bottom of the car is coincidentally how far I can reach!! 

Anyway, the Tigerseal will not be letting these go in a hurry, regardless of temperature or vibration. I'll let them cure overnight, then I can start wiring the lights in.

Next job was the gap panel. After a lot of fettling, it worked really well. First it slots in on the passenger side, then it can be slotted in to the drivers side before centering;



A bit more work to cut it round the roll bar;


And then some holes drilled for fixing. I also wanted to see how the bending had impacted the surface, so I took the wrapping off this one;



I think it looks really good, and the surface is pretty decent. I do need to sort the middle gap, maybe smooth down the welds so it fits flatter. 

I also did wonder about wrapping this part in leather. The back edge on Healey's, Cobra's etc tend to have a padded section for comfort and aesthetics. So I could do the same here. Not sure yet though, so I'm going to leave it there. I do need to slightly enlarge the screw holes though, the rivnuts have gone off centre as they usually do and only the centre one actually screws in! 

And of course I had to drag the car out into the sunshine;



It still looks a bit weird without wheels. Oh, the wheels... 


No comments:

Post a Comment