Monday 27 May 2024

That broke it...

 Well, that was a fun morning! I suspected that the dollies I was moving my car on were right on the limit, particularly on the front. And today I found that limit, as one of the wheels broke off! Thankfully I managed to get it in the garage, but the car isn't going anywhere for a while. 

In the meantime, todays jobs were all 'behind the scenes' so to speak. So all the upper braces for the bodywork have had a layer of rubber added, now the body doesn't have that 'sag' when you lean on the outside edges. I've also riveted the two infill panels that live just under the body inside the car. And staying with riveting, the firewall panel is now fixed in place. I had been debating when to do this as there were a few things to be fixed to the panel, but I didn't see a significant advantage to keeping it loose. I'm sure I'll regret it for something!

I also did one portion of the edge trim, just to see how it looks. And I'm quite happy with it;


I need to continue the trim to the front and back, but first I need to convert the front panel to rivnuts. 

Back to the immobile car... the trolley came from Aldi for about a tenner, so in theory I could just buy another one... but as it's Aldi, they're not in stock. Not in Lidl either for their equivalent. The most logical option now is to just get the front wheels on and have them stay reasonably straight. I'd need to add the wishbones and suspension, as well as the steering from top to bottom. Most bolts don't need tightening up (well, apart from the wheel bolts themselves!). The challenge will be the overall width, putting the wheels on adds at least 8 inches. 

I suppose at least I'll find out the true ride height of the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment