Monday 12 August 2024

Gear shift templates

 Ten minutes with Fusion 360, and half hour printing got me here;


Looks like I was a bit cautious top and bottom, they can be made a decent amount thicker. it does look good though, just imagining it with the trimmed leather I think it'll work. 

Back to the first question though, what material. This print took three attempts in PLA, just due to warping. I'm not going to get any level of success from an ABS version, so plastic is out. I do have some thick aluminium that could be used here, and if I also use it as the surround for the roll bar supports I think that would work nicely. The only thing I do need to do is round off the edge as it's most definitely not IVA friendly. 

I did also have a passing thought that I could redo the gaiter out of seat leather... maybe an extra step some other time. I'd need to figure out how to stitch leather apart from anything! 

Putting that aside for the moment, here's the pattern on the existing plastic frame on the aluminium I want to use;


Based on where the frame sits, I need to extend the top part upwards to make it thicker, and I also need to extend the bottom upwards to meet the existing frame.

Oh, and the circle in the middle? That's a trim for the roll bar supports, it seems like a good use of otherwise wasted material. I'll cut a second one out of the top section of metal.

So that's today's job, should be pleasant. This stuff is really strong aluminium, no idea what the alloy mix is but it's stronger than the floor. Given how thin these trims will be I think it'll be perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment