Wednesday 14 August 2024

Stitching leather

 Well, the first attempt didn't go too badly;


The first stitch was the join, that worked well and was very straight. The second one was the green, there were a few hiccups but overall it's not too bad.

Then it went wrong. The purple is all over the place. It's because of the holes, they weren't big enough. The pricking iron has a slight angle to it, but I didn't drive it deep enough. Because of that, the thread didn't stay in a consistent position all the way along.

Compare that with the blue (top line). That is spot on, and it's because I drove the iron deep and made it as it should. Then with a consistent tension on the threads I was able to make the line about as perfect as I'll ever get it. I needed to figure out what to use as a backing, wood didn't let it go through and even a welding glove wasn't much. A folded jay cloth worked well. 

I also don't think the soft leather helps, but overall I just need more practice. If I can make a new shift boot that'll be a good start. I'm not convinced seat trimming is on the cards just yet, but it was a fun distraction and a useful extra option.  


No comments:

Post a Comment