Friday 25 May 2018

Steering angle

The steering rack is now in place and bolted up, and I have a problem...

As part of the IVA regs the steering column needs to have a deflection angle. This is so in the event of a head on collision, the steering column doesn't head directly towards the driver. (If only Senna's mechanics had that plan 😢 ).

Unfortunately, me trying to get everything 'just right' means that I've actually lined things up almost perfectly, IE no deflection angle. Which means I need to make some modifications.

The steering rack is in the right place, and cannot realistically be moved. I don't want the steering travel to be different between left and right. The tube between the universal joints can't really be moved either, it has the chassis one side and the engine the other.

What can be moved is the upper steering column. If I move the bottom joint of the steering column out towards the chassis wall, the angle between upper and lower columns will increase. But if I move the bottom joint, the steering wheel will be crooked. Last time I had that I was in an '85 Vauxhall Nova, and the whole drivers side was tipped towards the centre because the front wheel was in the way!

But it looks like I have no option, so I'll chop off the lower bracket and reweld back in the right place. Tomorrows job...

(Tomorrow)



Five minutes with a photo and some powerpoint boxes shows I have 8 degrees deflection with the brackets as I've welded them. So I've chopped off the bracket that is in that photo, and I will need to move it to the right just an inch or so to get the 10 degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment