Sunday 11 October 2020

Pedal setup completion

 Well, it's Sunday morning, the coffee is nice and for once the sun is out, so it's time to get up to date. I've done a fair bit of work over the last few days, actually a bit more than I expected to be able to. 

The first thing to update is the pedals. As I had put in the last update, I had a brake and clutch switch to add. The brake switch was an obvious one, I need brake lights. The clutch switch was an odd one though. Apparently it's to cut fuel on overrun, and it's not difficult to just delete it. So I have!! 

That leaves the brake switch. The action of the switch is to have it closed when the pedal is not pressed, and open when the pedal is pressed. When the pedal is in the MX5 this means it's mounted above the pedal, out of the way of the drivers foot. That doesn't work here as I've turned them over. So I needed to mount it on the floor. This is how I've done it;


It's out the way of the foot, and works as required. It also has the added benefit in that the screw fit of the switch is now the end stop for the pedal. Combined with the screw fitting of the push rod and I have full control over the pedal travel. Obviously where it is at the moment is very wrong, but once the system is plumbed in and pressurised I should be able to figure out a nice place for the pedal to sit. It 'should' only need maybe a couple of inches of travel to apply full force, so it'll be adjusted to do that.

Here's a better view of the same;


Next is the clutch pedal. No switch means no end stop, but the solution was much easier here. The book uses a bent piece of metal mounted on to the bolt itself. So here's the same for mine;


The adjustment is simply to rotate the metal until it's in the right place, then tighten everything up. The screw thread on the push rod also deals with travel. This also needs plumbing in and adjusting, I don't know how much travel is required here but clutches tend to move a lot further than brakes.

Finally the gas pedal was mounted to the chassis. This wasn't a complex one, just a U bracket on to the rail itself. It's spring loaded to assist with pulling the cable, and there's a screw fitted into the bulkhead to restrict travel. I must take a photo of the whole set up, but in the meantime here's a better photo of the final clutch/brake setup;


I am really happy with how it's come out, I'd done the back plate quite a while ago but not finished the process until now. It's had a coat of paint on all the parts and is ready to fit to the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment