Saturday 14 September 2013

Disappointed/frustrated

Well, I expected at least one downer on this project, although I did expect it to be DVLA induced. After removing the diff, and cracking it open, I've found it doesn't fit on the Talon diff cover. The mounting holes are on a circle that's approximately one inch wider than the diff. They're in the right place in terms of angles around the centre point, the screw threads are correct and the two stub axles fit nicely, but there's no way the diff is going in. I do wonder whether it's a difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 diff, as the one in the picture is a 1.8 but mine is a 1.6.

I've emailed Phil to see what happens, I'm not sure what he can do though. At best a refund would leave me just out of pocket for the postage and packaging, but then unless he can make a new one to fit I'm going to have to go back to the original plans for the rear suspension. Which was what I was trying to avoid!

There might be a possibility that I can use a 1.8 diff, but keep everything else. That's if they bolt together...

Well, there is an update, rather quickly actually. Phil is putting together some CNC created covers, so hopefully I can arrange with him to swap my prototype one for a 'real' one. It should also fit the 1.6 diff, so win win really.

Oh yeah, and I've figure out my diff is a viscous LSD. Not as good as a Torsen diff, but better than a completely open one.

No comments:

Post a Comment