Monday 2 April 2018

More painting and 'to be done' list...



Chassis painting went ok, the welds look decent in the right places (some of the caps to seal the tubes are a bit 'rough', but they only need to be watertight rather than strong). And of course, when I took this picture I noticed the bit I missed on the lower suspension bracket...

The pedal box and the suspension parts also got a coat. So now it's on to the next job, which is.... erm... not sure!!

This is what I have left to do;


  1. Steering rack supports and brace. Three strips of metal to hold the steering rack. As with other items I'll be over-engineering this, as a common complaint is vague steering due to insufficient bracing.
  2. Brake hard line to flexi pipe support plates. Four small pieces of metal that will hold the joints between the flexi and hard lines. I need to figure out what these are, I think they're just 1mm plate with a certain sized hole in. The flexi pipe then feeds through and a d clip holds it in place.
  3. Engine mounts. Oooh, I may have to get the engine in place to figure out where these go. That'll be a new experience for me, the first time I've lifted the engine in place! I may have to wait until summer for that though, to get the engine and chassis into the same place in the garage will be impossible. 
  4. Gearbox mounts. As above, something to be done in decent weather.
  5. Roll bar. Now the book has the roll bar, but I want to wait until after I have the bodywork to do mine. And basically I'll just buy a ready made one.
  6. Pedal box fixings. A metal strip across the top with four welded nuts so it can be mounted in the car, not a big job. 
  7. Steering column modification. Not difficult, but has to be done properly. And I won't have the required tube so I need to buy some.
  8. Radiator and mounts. Completely forgot about this one... I guess I ought to find a suitable radiator.
  9. Propshaft to be modified. Definitely not a diy job, even if I felt confident enough to weld it I doubt I could get it balanced up afterwards. I'll find somewhere to get that done.
  10. Fuel tank. Steel is the obvious solution, but I might see if I can find something lighter.
  11. Fuel and brake pipes.
  12. Handbrake.
  13. Electrics. This can be an entire blog all on it's own!! 
  14. Bodywork. To be purchased, I wonder if this is the year I place my order at Stoneleigh. Best take my cheque book.
  15. Paint the rest of the chassis and the rear suspension parts. 
So overall not actually that much more to do. Some jobs I can't do, some jobs will take me five minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment