Monday 18 December 2023

A brief distraction...

 Following today's video on Tools N Track, it's really given me some food for thought on my working environment. Over the weekend I spent 3 hours fitting the gearbox rubber mount. That was 2 hours 45 minutes of finding the damn thing, then 15 minutes of drilling to fit it!! If that seems ridiculous, well that is how bad it is in there at the moment. I'm getting fed up of tripping over stuff, not being able to move the welder to where it needs to go, even being able to get to the gas and electric meters to take this quarters readings was a mission.

So I'm putting the car deliberately on hold, and tidying up the garage instead. I really should have done this when I dropped the engine in, as that 'should' have given me a lot more space. Of course, it didn't and things still can't move about.

I need to make a list of the stuff that needs to be sorted. Just off the top of my head I can think of;

  • The thousands of tins of paint that are littered everywhere. And probably a fair few chemicals, cleaners, greases, that sort of thing. 
  • The coats that are hanging up at the back that are basically useless now (the adults and children of the household have gotten too big to wear them anyway!).
  • Sort out the racking to see if there are any unused gaps.
  • Sort out the half a dozen boxes of old computer stuff that is most likely useless (for example, I needed a replacement laptop PSU, and while I did have one, it promptly blew the fuse as soon as it was plugged in!)
  • Be absolutely brutal with the stuff I need to keep. I've now got to the point in the build where I know what I can use and what can be disposed of. Hopefully that means the couple of boxes of spare parts can be reduced. 
  • Have a general clear out of everything that was 'just put in the garage'. 

I think I'll take a few photos before and after, as I suspect this particular job may feel like a complete waste of time if I don't see any visible benefit. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment