Saturday 19 July 2014

Driveshafts and uprights

The diff is in place, and the driveshafts, and the uprights. And now I have a problem...

I had planned to fix the coilover alongside the upper fixing of the upright, like the Westfields do;

But with the coilovers at maximum extension (13 inches) the driveshafts are horizontal. Which means as the suspension compresses, the driveshafts will be angled upwards. I don't think this is a good thing. Even comparing to the picture above, I would more expect the driveshafts to be horizontal under full load.

So time for yet another rethink. I may try and mount the coilover top near to the edge, but that would need some reinforcement on the plate.

Mmm, I've just noticed, the uprights are backwards in the Westfield...that could be useful...

(Later that night...)

I've also just noticed that the upper mounts on the Westfield aren't mounted to the upper plates, they're mounted to the cross member. The hole for putting the bolt in is actually in the back seat panel. The plate is only used for the rollbar. So I'm thinking, if I reverse the uprights, mount the coilover as per Westfield, it would be mounted an inch or so down and out so the shorter shock wouldn't matter anymore. There's a little bit of bracing added, I can do the same.

Looks like I have a few things to try out tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment