Tuesday 15 July 2014

How time flies!!

Well, I finally got the wishbones finished, I reckon at least 20 hours labour start to finish for all four front wishbones.

Same as before, start with a layout;


And end up with a wishbone!


OK, I skipped a fair bit of effort, and this is only at the tack stage, but to be honest the uppers did go together a lot quicker than the lowers. Again, there's a gnats hair difference between the two.

I had some old tube to hang them all from, so first was two coats of Screwfix red oxide primer;


Then two coats of hammerite copper;


And then fit the polybushes (I didn't need to do this stage, but it felt good to see them slot in perfectly!)


I also got all the front brackets fitted. To be honest, I expected this bit to be much harder than it was, but thanks to the advice of Phil from Talon my front frame had been welded up to host the brackets from the start. Everything just fell together, face against face and welded perfect.


Note the reinforcement behind the front upper wishbone bracket. It's just a triangular chunk of square section welded up, not overly pretty but it gives me confidence that it will stay put!


I do like some of my welding, although other parts are a bit messy. They've all got very good penetration, almost too much in some places.




The wishbones fit beautifully into the brackets, and the coilover bracket is perfectly in line. Very very happy with the front suspension. On to the rear.... again...

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Looks great :-). I am building the same one myself and is close to attaching the suspension brackets up front. What was the tip that Phil gave you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at http://slimyroadster.blogspot.com/2013/06/front-of-chassis.html. The front upright section is described in the plans as a 'notch and bend', but because the metal isn't vertical on the car that puts a twist into the metal. If you treat it as two separate pieces of metal, then you can dial out that twist and ensure the front piece is flat for the brackets. The rear bracket mount is fine because that is a vertical piece (viewed from the side).

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Unfortunately I am way past that step. But will hopefully get it to work :-)

      Delete