Sunday 7 January 2018

Cleaning...

One of the things I've yet to do is clean up the donor parts. In this case it's mainly the brakes. The ones that came off the car were definite MOT failures, but when I took them off I was hoping they'd clean up. Having said that, I also bought a complete extra set of brake calipers, discs and pads for £80, so I have double of everything.

And I needed it!! The first front caliper came apart quite easily (if a little mucky). I did the compressed air trick to shift the piston, and it came out with an almighty crack. I was off to a good start.

The second one I picked up was missing a dust seal, not good. Turned out the piston wasn't going anywhere, in or out. So I removed the sliders, carrier and other spare parts, and marked that one for the bin.

Third one wasn't much better, it had a dust seal but was ripped. So again I scavenged what I could and put the caliper aside. So that was a working left caliper, a failed right, a failed left.

Thankfully the last right hand caliper piston also came out quite easily, although the sliders didn't. Still, overnight soaking in plusgas should solve that one.

I'd made enough mess by this point so I stacked up the rear calipers ready to dismantle them sometime today. Then it's a good scrub and grind to get rid of the rubbish, followed by a coat of paint. The new front seals are on their way (£14 for both sides including slider boots).

By the way, for anyone using compressed air for removing pistons, heed the warning about them coming out with force. If there isn't anything to stop the piston coming out, they will end up flying. Fortunately the front caliper was big enough to contain the piston, however I can see the rear piston is small enough to shoot straight out. Leave a brake pad or flat metal in the caliper to stop it doing damage. And keep your fingers out of the way!

Next job after the calipers, removing the surface rust off the chassis and putting the first coat of oxide on it.

(A quick note to self... the rear pistons won't 'blow' out, they're fixed in with adjuster screws. In some ways that makes them easier to dismantle, although it still won't work if corrosion has set in. Anyhow, that's this weekends job).

No comments:

Post a Comment