Sunday 12 May 2019

Panel tetris

So here is the main aluminium panel, with all the pieces attached;


As you can see, it was a bit tight to get all the panels on. There are a few things to note here. First off, I've not left myself much waste between panels, so I'm hoping the cuts will be pretty accurate. I'm also doing something a bit unusual with the back panel. Rather than trying to do it in one large panel (which wouldn't have worked due to the way I've left tags on the panels for fitting), I've split it into three. The two panels near the centre are intended to go behind the passenger and driver, and form the bulk of the panel. The T shape part towards the right is then the middle panel and the first part of the transmission tunnel. I've done it this way so I have quite a clean rear panel between the seats, with adequate room and access for riveting. Bringing it down on the tunnel also allows for a clean transition between the two, without the need for welding a fixing bracket in place.

This will use all of the aluminium I have left, so if I go wrong I've got to buy more. Which won't be cheap, while the panels themselves aren't too bad it's actually getting them home that's the issue. And I've found that most metal suppliers don't work weekends, so it's a case of having to go during work hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment