Sunday 26 May 2019

Two down...

The first couple of panels are done, admittedly they're the easy ones that just go on the top.



The process was similar to the floor panels, but I had to be careful with the edges as they're visible. Actually, everything is visible so I had to be careful all over!

I started each panel on an edge and made sure there was enough metal to cover the relevant hole. I drilled a couple of holes for some Cleco's to hold the panel in place, then marked the fold lines. Using my DIY folder (which actually does work on aluminium a lot better than the thinner steel) I put the relevant folds in the panel. Then using Cleco's as I went, drilling and fixing the panel.

The last stage was to trim the panels to size, the power file came in very useful here. I brought each panel flush to the steel, whether I'll regret that decision or not only time will tell.

There is just one panel left for the transmission tunnel top, but that will use rivnuts for fixings. I think I'll start the process the same as the other panels, the rivnuts will use similar if not slightly larger holes.

Next ones are the sides, and I'm not looking forward to those. Folds, cutouts, all manner of unpleasantness. All so I can have a smooth interior, I hope it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment