Saturday 4 July 2020

Rear engine mount 2

This will be the engine mount as it has been mocked up in Fusion;


The blue section is the new plate that will be welded into the chassis (3mm plate), then the bush will sit on top, then the upper plate (5mm) will be bolted in place.

Unfortunately the drawing shows the issue here. With just blank plates the is a gap that needs to be covered. Normally I'd just add a spacer, but the bush needs the flat surface to sit on, as well as space for the nuts to go on the fixings top and bottom. If I change the angle and highlight the thread, it becomes clear what is happening;



Regardless of the height of the bush, there won't be enough exposed thread top and/or bottom. 

Now I don't want to do any welding on the top plate, if I can keep that as solid 5mm there won't be any leverage imposed on weld joints etc. So drawing that out and cutting it as required is the first job. I think what I'll then do is build up the platform from the chassis, such that the bush still has a flat surface to work on. That gap is 15mm, so I need to make that up.

Time to get cutting and welding...

No comments:

Post a Comment