Thursday 11 May 2023

Final roll bar design

 Well, I think I finally have a good solution. As per my previous post, I will be able to go backwards for the support bars. With the fuel tank in place, I was able to measure where the corners ended up, and how I could brace them. This picture shows the angle of the first support in relation to the swirl pot;


Coming straight up from the bottom joint gives clearance up to the corner of the fuel tank. For the horizontal support I have plenty of options;


I'm tempted to come off the open tube as that needs sealing up anyway. With those two as the triangle to support the tank, I can then add a bar straight across for the tank to sit on.

That bar will then become the support for the roll bar;


So the fuel tank will be sitting between the roll bar supports, and the roll bar itself will be braced against the suspension brackets on the diff cage (which is probably the strongest part of the car at the moment!!).

to check the angle I took a picture of the side view;


That angle is 35 degrees, and considering MSUK yearbook says 30 degrees minimum I'm happy with that. 

So this weekend I'm going to weld up a platform for the tank. However, I've just realised the support structure for the rear of the chassis also needs to be included. I'll have to look at that and see if they can both be added at the same time. If not it's just an extra task a bit later on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment