Sunday 12 November 2023

Dashboard and reusing mx5 cluster

 As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't particularly impressed with the dashboard blank. It just doesn't suit the car, and it doesn't fit. So I do need to find an alternative. But my thoughts turned to the instruments from the MX5. I had originally planned to use the cluster as is, just drop it into place. I had no idea how it would work if I tried using different instruments, and I wanted to keep things IVA friendly. 

But it's the same as the dashboard blank, it won't fit. So I decided to have a look at it. 


This is the instruments as they stand. A nice collection of bright lights, two main dials and a few extras. I was going to be able to use nearly everything here, only losing the fuel level and a couple of warning lights.

When I disassembled it, I found that the instruments are actually quite well self contained;

With the fixings screws doubling up as the electrical connections. So for the rev counter there were three screw holes for positive, negative and 'trigger'. Furthermore, the instruments come out;



Having them removed from the cluster does present some opportunities and challenges. Firstly, rehousing them in something should be fairly straightforward, with a plastic clear face. I'm thinking maybe a 3D print in ABS. The challenges are obviously getting a 3D print to work correctly, to be able to reuse the screw holes and not melt in the temperature of a car! 

Still, this is definitely the way to go, no need to reuse the entire shell. I'd need to figure out the indicator lights though, typically this would be a 'bright 6' module. Another 3D printed option no doubt, but they would need to have clear symbols so printing negative images on clear plastic would have to be done. 

None of that is impossible though, and then I can mount them wherever I want. Hopefully in the centre of the dash as I want to. I'll lose the fuel gauge but keep the oil pressure and temperature gauge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment