Sunday 5 November 2023

Finished roll bar and the start of the boot

 The roll bar has now been completed and properly fitted with the bodywork;


The main roll bar and the two supports have at least 5mm gap around them so there will be no rubbing between the two and I'll be able to add some trim. I've also cut the back of the body in line with the roll bar. I have to admit I do like the wide shot;


There were a couple of things that popped up here. The first is that while I cut the body to match the roll bar, it turns out it's not quite in line with the chassis. That will no doubt show up again when I come to fill the gap between the body and the chassis. Also, the body does have a slight twist in it, about 5mm to the left. To combat this I have a piece of wood taped to the roll bar support which is bringing it back in line. Once I have more bracing in place it should hole the body correctly. 

The next job is to build the boot. I want it to be usable, so it needs a frame. I also think it should be a fairly robust section for crash protection. That robustness will keep the body in line as well. Lastly, it has highlighted that I'm missing some triangulation for the rear supports. As a fairly quick (actually several hours) job I got the triangulation done;


Bracing things against the diff cage should be plenty strong enough. Here the two diagonal supports have been welded in and dressed. There is then two supports coming up from the bottom of those supports, and there will be two more from the top. 

However this is where I'll move away from my original plan. I want to preserve as much space as possible, at least get to the sides of the boot lid. So rather than just coming out perpendicular to the bottom, I think I'm going to angle them out to make better use of the space. I also want to use 25mm rather than the 19mm that I originally cut. Finally, there will be an X brace put in the centre, which should be plenty of support for whatever I want in the boot. 

The main thing for this is how 'permanent' it will be. I had originally planned to have this whole subframe detachable, but I'm not sure there is any realistic benefit to it. I do still need the body removable though. That does mean that the fixing for the body can't be adhesive like the other locations, it needs to be a screw fixing. Those screw fixings might/will be visible from outside. albeit tucked under the bottom of the rear. They will need to be large washers and bolts, either going into rivnuts or even welded nuts. I think I saw a youtube video on how to put a welded nut inside a tube, I'll have to find that again. 

So that's the plan for today, all the ironwork for the boot. It's a bit of a tight space in there though, so it won't be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment