Sunday 5 November 2023

Photos for ideas

 Over the various shows I've taken plenty of photos to give me ideas on what to do. I think it's time to add them to a post so I have them available. Here's some that I'll be using as reference for the next few jobs.



These two show the side panels, how they've been filled in with aluminium and brought down to the chassis. I intend to do the same, however because the triangular body section completely missed my chassis that has now been removed. I'll simply continue with the aluminium up to shoulder height. I will stay with the idea of riveting across the top, and most likely use rivnuts to attach it to the chassis. Then I'll need some edge trim as that corner will be too sharp to pass IVA. I'm not sure of the trim on the plastic itself though, I'll have to look at how I finish that edge. Just thinking about it, I could have the aluminium on the outside and hide the rough edge of the body.



These two show a couple of back panels. One thing I have is a gap from the body to the chassis behind the seats. It's about three inches all the way across, and I need to fill it. Since the majority of the back panel is already aluminium it makes sense to make the infill panel also aluminium. This is visible on the Thruxton. Since I've trimmed the panel in line it should be fairly easy to put a piece in at an angle (or even rounded if possible although I might be pushing my luck there). Alternatively I could go for a more traditional fabric or carpet back panel like the green car. If I'm not too blasé with the leatherette I could come up with a padded section there, although I have no idea what it would look like. 


This one shows that I'm not the first to fit the roll bar supports through the body, I'm happy that they look very similar. This also shows how the dashboard fits. I'm not sure whether I'm using the dashboard but it seems to suit the car quite well. It'll need to host the MX5 instrument cluster though, and I don't like the plasticky look so I'd have to cover it with something. The plexiglass 'screen' is a good idea though, and I have another picture that shows how to form that;


This is for a car where the screen is a very tight radius, but using it for a ninety degree bend would at least give some consistency between left and right edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment