Thursday 21 March 2024

Elapsed time vs effort

 One thing I have been wondering about this entire build is 'where has the time gone'. The first blog post is from February 2013, so it's now 11 years 1 month. Even Bentley don't take that long to hand build a car!

So I decided to have a look through this blog and add up the actual time. Up to this point I've spent 801 hours on the car, approximately 20 weeks based on a 40 hour week. It does seem a bit high but it's nowhere near as much as the 11 years suggests. 

For the first few years I didn't get much time to work on it, in 2015 for example I didn't work on the car at all. That's the joys of working away unfortunately, I only had weekends for literally everything and car building came fairly low on the list at the time. In the first five years I did 119 hours, about 3 weeks worth.

Covid also took a toll, despite having a lot more free time (because we couldn't actually do anything!) I was still unable to progress with the car. So 2022 was another year with zero time spent.

Thankfully the last couple of years have been improved, with nearly 300 hours last year and 82 so far this year. And it shows from a progress point of view, it has really moved on recently and is getting very close to finishing.

I also need to add up the costs, I did have a cost calculator very early on but I didn't keep it up to date. The bodywork was still the biggest cost (£1000), closely followed by the donor (£435), then the various metal purchases. I reckon even if I got to 3K total costs, that's only £300 a year. I pay more than that for insurance on my tintop!

But I'm definitely not making a profit on anything. Even if I sell it for 10K (which is very optimistic), that's 7K over ten years. Not exactly something I could live on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment