Saturday 2 March 2024

Floor done

 I have put it off for (pretty much) ten years, but I thought this weekend would be floor day. Thursday I tidied the garage, Friday got the engine out and the chassis on it's side, then today started with a clean of the panels. I really ought to have taken the masking tape off on day one, because my fingers and nails are raw from peeling it off. Anyway, clean panels;


A fit with temporary rivets showed they were still ok;


But test fitting real rivets proved to be harder. I'm not entirely sure why, but some of the holes weren't big enough for the rivets. I even had to redrill half a dozen holes for rivets to fit. Eventually they all went in;



Of course, they all had to come back out again to apply the Tiger Seal. But after applying the seal, the rivets went on well. It looks nice too, very even and secure;


It does bode well for the other panels, I was tempted to add some more but I thought I'd not tempt fate and leave it there for today. Of course, it does mean the Tiger Seal is unlikely to survive to the next panel fit. In theory the other panels don't need the same level of strength, but it would still be nice to use it for all panels.

I've also picked the chassis paint, I have a satin black exterior metal paint to go over everything. I'll apply the bottom coat tomorrow then with any luck that'll be the last time the chassis has to be anything other than the normal way up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment