Monday 18 March 2024

Handbrake finished

 I nearly forgot, I have finished the handbrake. The initial plan was to have it under the dash, but that got a bit challenging, I came up with a location under the steering wheel, but had some fun and games with cable routing;


Ignoring the cable for now, this posed several challenges. I couldn't get the mechanism to operate on the rear cables without some major engineering. The pulling force was across the car instead of front to back, and it was slightly higher, and it had to avoid the gearbox. 

Basically the only option was a Bowden cable. So I started with a quick Ebay search for a cheap cable that seemed long enough and didn't have any fancy brackets or anything. Cue a front cable from a Seat something-or-other. This gets routed from the handbrake, into the tunnel via a reinforced hole;




As you can imagine it needed to be reinforced as the chassis rail wasn't that big to start with. A 25mm right angle with an inbuilt sleeve, all welded and then smoothed flat got me a hole through the middle but without affecting the strength.

Then I needs something at the back for the cable to pull against, a simple bracket would suffice;



Once the new cable was lashed up, it can connect to the bracket, with the rear cables and the spring also in place. My only doubt was/is that the bracket doesn't allow enough travel on the cables, but there's not much I can do about that now. Typically a good handbrake locks at between 3 and 5 clicks, if I can adjust the cable to match then I think I'm ok.




No comments:

Post a Comment