Sunday 8 October 2023

Another long pause

 And just like that I've gone from July to October with no updates. That is quite impressive! Unfortunately it was due to another bedroom being redecorated, so the car had to be pushed to the side of the garage while I did various things with wood, plasterboard etc.

In any case, I got the car flat again last weekend, and I've been working through things during the week leading up to today. I wanted to get the chassis completely finished, and now it is;


Everything looks so much better now the tube ends have been capped and everything has had a layer of primer. The bottom of the car is still missing some paint, but most of that needs to stay bare for the flooring to be glued in place.

Once this has dried, I can get the rubber straps glued on to the fuel tank frame. I've trialled it with superglue and it's a really strong bond so I'm optimistic it'll be an easy job. Then I need to drill the holes for the fixing screws and that is the fuel tank done. 

Oh, and the engine mounts are now complete. An extra plate was welded on to the frame at the front, then an M10 hole drilled through the engine mount and the plate. They should bolt up nicely when the engine is to be properly installed. I do need to drill the gearbox mount though, I think I have positional photos to know where the hole goes.

Aside from that, I did have a plan to make some decent progress recently. My contract ended and I faced a bit of time with no job. Time that I was going to spend getting a load of stuff finished on the car. Fortunately for me a new job came up within a week, so that is keeping me busy. Maybe when this job finishes I might get some free time. 

Next few jobs;

1. Rubber for the fuel tank and fit the tank. Should be easy now the paint is done.

2. Put some threads into the pedal box fixings. The holes are there but they are purely decorative at the moment. I need to make them functional either for a nut and bolt combination or for a threaded hole. Either way will work as they don't have to be really strong. Their biggest challenge is for those 'oh s**t' moments when I'm pressing hard on the brake pedal. 

3. Radiator mountings need to be welded in place. Just a few brackets, nothing challenging.

4. Stock take nuts and bolts. Well, specifically bolts. I'm aware that during my work some of the bolts have been repurposed, damaged or are just too short for the job. I need to go through what I have against what I need, and order the difference. The main challenges are the long bolts for the rear suspension, while I remember getting some appropriate bolts I can't remember whether they were ok... or even where they are! 

5. Seats need to be upholstered.

6. Body on so the electrics can be added. 

Onwards and upwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment