Saturday 28 October 2023

Bonnet done

 Productive day today, even though it was only a few hours. The bonnet support has been welded up and fitted;


It's easier to see with the lid down;


It wasn't too bad, the verticals were just 'straight up', then I needed three cuts in the horizontal portion to create enough of a curve to fit under the bonnet. I had to profile the ends to cope with the start of the curves, but that was fairly easy.

But... I think there is a bigger issue. That picture from under the bonnet was not difficult to take, I should  have had to get a lot lower. And the support is awfully tall. Now, it is tall at the moment, and the horizontal bar is only tack welded. Once I have the body at the right height, I can adjust this to match. B

It's still high though. This is a pic from the drivers position;


I am basically looking edge on to the bonnet. If this was the car, only my forehead could be seen above the bonnet. 

There's a few things here though. This edge is on top of the side outriggers, not underneath. The bonnet also hooks under the body as well, so that's at least 40mm drop already. Then the seats have the rails, foam and cover. So potentially there is a good 100mm to go for my viewing angle. And strictly speaking only my head needs to be above the chassis. As a last resort I could drop the side outriggers below the chassis, but I don't really want to do that. Actually, as I think about it, the body is at the correct height, so dropping the outriggers won't be needed. 

As with every job I 'finish', this one isn't quite done. But it's only the bonnet pins and trimming it to match the body, so I'll count that as complete.

Time to think about the next job. Actually, a small job that'll be pretty easy to finish now, the radiator and fan mounting. Just a few tabs to weld on to the newly provisioned bonnet hinge, and job done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment