Sunday 29 October 2023

Radiator and fan

 As planned, I got the radiator and fan fitted today. Although it did take a fair bit longer than I expected. It was mainly getting the fixings into the right place so everything bolts together without hitting the bonnet.

Still, it's all done. Some random pics;

These are the lower fixings, 19mm box section cut in half lengthways for a U channel. It works quite well because the plastic tabs fit in the channel, then the screw holds it in place. Well, it should, more on that shortly.

One either side, with slots so the fixing can be adjusted.

This is the first step of the Christmas tree, the top fixing for the radiator. Again some box section cut in half, this time mounted at an angle on a cross bar. This is my second attempt, the first design didn't take into account the temperature sensor. This sits just below the sensor. 

This is the same part welded to an a frame, along with a bracket for the fan mounts. The lower mounts for the fan are just screw holes and will share the fan mounting points. 

A better picture of the tree...

... And how it looks with the bonnet shut. I haven't put the fan or rad on here as I'd only just finished welding and things were warm.

I still love the front end though, this is the rad mounted just before I welded on the fan fixings so everything had cooled down.

So the only thing I need to figure out now is what screws to use. The holes are in soft plastic so self tappers make sense. But they need to be short otherwise they're getting to water which really isn't good. I have some short self tappers but they bind quite tightly after only a few turns. I'm reluctant to force it too much in case I split the rad. I'm going to have to see what fits better than the current fixings. Or warm the fixings up and let them melt the hole a bit. 

Next job, er... find a job!! I'm back to being between jobs again so I'm hoping to make swift progress on the car. Ooh, exhaust parts arrive tomorrow I think! That'll be a job to do, but it will need the engine back in. I do need to order some fuel line as well, four or five metres should be fine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment