Tuesday 10 October 2023

Radiator and next steps

 Today was meant to be figuring out how to fit the radiator. Well, technically it was, it's just that I didn't find a solution!

The problem is the pipes, they're both on the same side as well as the thermostat. Which means that whichever way I put it, at least one pipe is trying to flow water directly into the chassis or the suspension. 

I can see two options...

1. Mount the radiator offset. Just typing that makes me shudder, and having to look at it every day would be worse. If it had been in a seven it wouldn't have mattered so much as it's barely visible, but on the Healey bodywork the front is very exposed. So having it offset would be very obvious.

2. Mount the radiator vertically. I want to go for this option, mainly because it works, and all the pipes simply fit over the top of the chassis. My only reservation is whether it will work as a radiator when it's up that way. I'll see what the people at LCB say, but I think this is a much preferred option. What's more, the original Healey radiator was vertical so it would look better. And I could use some ducting either side to finish it off and increase air flow through the radiator. 

Tomorrows task will be to get the front of the car out of the shed and cleaned off so I can put it in place. This will serve several tasks, as well as getting the radiator confirmed in place I can do the outriggers, electrics and various other things. It's been long overdue, and no doubt I'll be evicting several thousand spiders and other creepy crawlies from their home. It'll be nice to see the front of the car again though...

No comments:

Post a Comment